Tuesday 30 September 2014

What if I wasn't skilled enough?

"When you go to a job interview how do you show them you are actually that skilled?
By telling them about projects you did on your own? without supervision?
Who cares?
What matters I your cursus on the paper and actual work experience; A client paying you for work well done and giving you a written recommendation.
All these small garage projects you do are irrelevant to employers.

You will never be skilled enough. The learning never ends. There are myriads of topics worth learning out there. Right now though, what matters is getting a job, relevant work experience.
" Jacques MOULOT, my father, told me something in these lines.

Sometimes when faced with the harsh job market, even a recent graduate and honor student gets to doubt his own skills and fall into the vicious circle of endless training, and garage projects. I am one of those, and if you too are, well, what do you think after hearing the words from a doctor in electronics and professional for more than 30 years. I kind of feel like saying fuck that, this is b*llshit, Apple was a garage venture, Facebook was a dorm venture, Linux was a student's project. My mother hates seeing me in my old man's office the whole day, typing stuff she doesn't understand so she taunts me, and when I ignore the taunts she involves my old man, who always has the right words to make me quit. So anyways, I will not confront my old man cause I live on his turf.

My last job interview
I am a recent graduate. Well that is if you can call a year recent. A few weeks ago, I went to a job interview, it was a Business Intelligence firm, for an intern position and they basically wanted me to know enough to be put in the front line of a BI project. It sucked! Four long hours of barely satisfying answers. I knew the theory, I recited it, I kept insisting that it wasn't realistic to expect a recent graduate to tell them anecdote about successfully implemented BI projects cause, hey, I had never been in a team working on such heavy weight projects before. I mean even Linus did not produce an OS in just weeks now did he? And I can't do heavy projects, I'm building a portfolio and running out of time, see!

Regardless I blamed myself for my lack of knowledge and went on to plan some heavy weight projects on various topics I though I out to know better, refresh all the theory and implement mini versions of. Then my father confronted me that answer. Translate to english, he wants me to stop doing small projects and get paid for my work already. Now I need to find a job I guess. I was enjoying my garage projects though!


No comments:

Post a Comment